I love cooking with my kids. It is a fun activity that supports fine motor skills, creativity and counting. I am a proud mom when my 4 year old princess differentiates flour and sugar. I am proud when she learns how to beat the eggs.
There are 2 tricks when cooking with kids:
- You need to find a super easy recipe to make. You cannot ask your 4 year-old child to separate egg yolks.
- You need to find a recipe that both kids can help you with. My 10 year-old measures the ingredients while my 4 year-old mixes them.
One of their favorite recipes is a simple cake with chocolate. It is a kid friendly recipe. It contains ingredients that we usually have on hand. This recipe is adapted from All recipes.
Simple Cake with Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup of white sugar or brown sugar. I personally prefer brown sugar.
- ½ cup of butter. I replace sometimes with vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla.
- 1 ½ cup of flour
- 1 ¾ of baking powder
- ½ cup of skim milk
- ½ cup of chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease a rectangular cake pan
- In a large bowl, mix the sugar and the butter until the mixture becomes creamy.
- Beat the eggs, one by one
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and the baking powder. Add them to the first mixture.
- Pour in the milk and mix well.
- You can add the chocolate chips in the mixture or leave them as decorations. The kids love to add some chips in the mixture. They like the melted chocolate in the cake.
- Cook for the 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick becomes dry.